Featured

    Featured Posts

Standard negation with "bu (不)"

不 (bù) is generally used to negate a verb in the present or future, or to talk about what you do not do, as a habit. So expressing things like "I don't want to go" or "I'm not going" or "I don't eat meat" would be typical uses of 不 (bù).

Negating Verbs

Structure

The standard way to negate verbs in Chinese is with 不 (bù). To negate a verb, simply place 不 (bù) before it:

Subj. + 不 + Verb + Obj.

Examples

他们 不 是 坏 孩子。
Tāmen bù shì huài háizi.
They are not bad kids.

我们 都 不 喝 酒。
Wǒmen dōu bù hē jiǔ.
We all don't drink alcohol.

我 今天 不 想 工作。
Wǒ jīntiān bù xiǎng gōngzuò.
I don't want to work today.

你 不 喜欢 我 吗?
Nǐ bù xǐhuan wǒ ma?
Do you not like me?

为什么 你 不 喜欢 喝 咖啡?
Wèishéme nǐ bù xǐhuan hē kāfēi?
Why don't you like to drink coffee?

Almost all verbs can be negated with 不 (bù) (unless you're talking about the past). The only verb that can never be negated with 不 (bù) is 有 (yǒu).

✖   我 不有 时间。
     Wǒ bù yǒu shíjiān.

✔  我 没有 时间。
    Wǒ méiyǒu shíjiān.

I don't have time.

Negating Adjectives

As it turns out, the structure with an adjective is basically the same as the one with a verb.

Structure

Subj. + 不 + Adj.

Examples

我 不 饿。
Wǒ bù è.
I'm not hungry.

这 个 不 贵。
Zhè ge bù guì.
This is not expensive.

我们 公司 不 大。
Wǒmen gōngsī bù dà.
Our company is not big.

老板 今天 很 不 高兴。
Lǎobǎn jīntiān hěn bù gāoxìng .
The boss is very unhappy today.

我 哥哥 不 高,但是 很 帅。
Wǒ gēge bù gāo , dànshì hěn shuài.
My older brother is not tall, but he is very handsome.



www.CodeNirvana.in

Subscribe us on YouTube

Like us on Facebook

Translate

Total Pageviews

Copyright © Easy Chinese Learning | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Code Nirvana